Saturday, September 13, 2014

Pizza Cupcakes!

Once upon a time, a silly woman asked her two-year-old, "what would you like for dinner?" The toddler impishly replied, "Cupcakes!" Undaunted, the mother asked her what kind of cupcakes she wanted. "Pizza!" declared the child. The mother did a quick inventory of her kitchen: Leftover meatballs, pasta sauce, crescent roll dough, and mozzarella cheese. Eureka! And thus, the pizza cupcake was born. True story!

This is such a simple, economical recipe that I just had to share. The first time I made these, they were such a hit in my house that now every time I make meatballs, I make a little extra so that I can stretch them into two meals and make pizza cupcakes. Well-fed family + budget-friendly = HAPPY MOMMY!

You will need:
  •  5-6 medium-sized meatballs, precooked.
  • Extra pasta sauce (about 1/4 cup)
  • Shredded cheese (I use skim-milk mozzarella)
  • Crescent roll dough or the crescent roll non-perforated sheets, if you can find them.
The first time I made these, I didn't even have shredded cheese in the house, so I grated a pack of string cheese. Totally worked!



Preheat oven to 375. Grease cupcake pan and set aside.

Chop meatballs into small chunks and toss them with extra pasta sauce.


Roll out dough and, if perforated, press out the perforations. Cut into 12 squares and press squares into cupcake pan.

Scoop about 1 tbsp of meatball mixture into each cupcake on top of the dough and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese (Ladybug likes to help me with this part).


Fold the corners of the dough slightly down over the cupcakes. Bake for 10-12 minutes until edges are golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes and then use a fork to lever them out of the pan. 


Cut in half to let cool a bit before your toddler tries to dig in!


These have been such a huge hit in our house. I even served them as an appetizer at a Girls' Night I hosted last weekend! They're also fun because you can really get experimental. Try them with mushrooms or a slice of pepperoni on top. If you have any fun variations on these, please leave them in the comments. Thanks, and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment