Monday, March 23, 2015

Sneaky Healthy Pumpkin Waffles

Hello there, friends! Happy Spring! We still have snow on the ground, but birds are chirping in our ears...literally, right outside my bedroom window each morning. The transition from winter to spring always gives me such an energy boost- very much needed, as I am now only two months away from the birth of baby #2!

Also helping with the extra energy is my recent transition to part-time, enabling me to get in some important Mommy-Ladybug 1:1 time while I still can. More snuggles, more dress-up games, and more healthy, home-cooked meals for my rapidly growing girl.

This morning, we are having a lazy day. Ladybug, after having her morning sippy of milk, fell blissfully back asleep for TWO HOURS, and is now in a lovely, adorable mood. And such a lovely, adorable child on a lovely, sunny morning deserved a special breakfast. Thus, I pulled out my trusty Mickey Mouse waffle iron and set out in search of a good waffle recipe.

Right away, I knew they had to be pumpkin waffles. I know it isn't anywhere near fall, but sometimes the mood just strikes. Blame it on a pregnancy craving. I found a lot of yummy-sounding recipes, but I wanted something with more of a nutritional punch. Using this recipe.here as an inspiration/guideline, I set out to make my own version of yummy, HEALTHY pumpkin waffles.And yummy, they were!!!!!

You will need:

2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsps baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsps brown sugar (optional)
3 tbsp coconut oil, melted and room-temperature
1 egg
1 c organic pumpkin puree (bpa-free)
1 1/2 c unsweetened almond milk (I use So Delicious Almond PLUS, which has extra protein)
1 tbsp flax/chia blend (or all flax or all chia, or whatever you'd prefer)
3/4 c halved pecans

Step 1: Put on your cutest apron...



Just kidding. This pic is actually from Ladybug's and my Christmas Cookie Baking Extravaganza...also known as the day my kitchen got so covered in powdered sugar it looked like it had snowed indoors.

An apron is not really necessary with this recipe, unless you're like me and putting on a cute, frilly apron helps you get into character. What can I say? I was a theatre kid, and it clearly runs in the family.

Seriously, though...

Step 1: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, and salt until evenly combined.

Step 2: In a separate bowl, whisk together coconut oil, egg and brown sugar. Add to dry ingredients and mix well.

Step 3: Stir in can of pumpkin puree. Dividing into two parts and blending slowly after each, add in Almond milk.

Step 4: Add flax/chia seeds and pecans and mix until combined.

Step 5: Heat and spray your waffle iron and evenly distribute the batter. For me, this involves gently spreading the batter up into the Mickey ears before closing the lid.

Step 6: Drizzle with maple syrup, powdered sugar, or whatever your favorite toppings are. Keep wet ones handy, or a fire hose, depending on how much syrup you gave your little one.

I got 10 Mickey Mouse waffles out of this mix, so with a regular waffle iron, I would estimate you'll get about a dozen. Don't forget to freeze the leftover waffles, as they make great, fast toaster treats to bring in the car on busy mornings.


No comments:

Post a Comment